I grew up in a blue collar community in Connecticut, where my dad was a welder and my mom worked her way up through pink collar jobs to become the comptroller of her company. I was the first in my family to go to college. I learned early on how to manage a budget, and also how to take advantage of opportunities to learn new skills.
After starting out in banking, I have spent most of my career as a communications professional. I helped run a literary magazine and book festival; I spent six years in marketing at Beacon Press; and now I am a freelance web designer and social media consultant.
I moved to Belmont in 2007 with my wife and son. Our second child was born in 2010. We live on Trowbridge Street, and our children attend Burbank Elementary School and Chenery.
Since our children started in the Belmont schools, I have been involved in our schools and community groups. I was PTA Co-President at Burbank Elementary, I serve on the executive committee of the Chenery PTO, and I am a member of the boards of the Foundation for Belmont Education and the Belmont After School Enrichment Collaborative. I am also a Town Meeting Member in Precinct 1.
Through my work on the Burbank and town-wide Safe Routes to School committees, I have been brought into town committees to address traffic near the high school and prioritize projects for the Complete Streets grants program. I serve on the High School Traffic Working Group and the Transportation Advisory Committee.
- Transportation Advisory Committee
- Town Meeting, Precinct 1
- High School Traffic Working Group
- Yes for Belmont 7-12 Campaign Steering Committee
- Board of Foundation for Belmont Education (FBE)
- Board of Belmont After School Enrichment Collaborative (BASEC)
- Chenery PTO Board
- Burbank Elementary School PTA Co-President
- Belmont Safe Routes to Schools Committee
- Communications consultant in Social Media and Web Design
- Six years in marketing at Beacon Press
- Experience in non-profit administration, marketing, and communications
- Experience in banking with specialty in commercial loans, compliance, and Small Business Association reporting
My family has lived in Belmont for twelve years in a two-family on Trowbridge Street. My wife, Stephanie Burt, is a poet, critic, and Professor of English at Harvard University, and our two children attend Chenery Middle School and Burbank Elementary School. I grew up in Norwich, Connecticut, and hold a BA from the University of Minnesota. In my spare time, I enjoy hiking with my kids, attending theater, and traveling to new places.